top of page
Theodore, Joseph & George

Theodore  Rathbone Hubback

Civil Engineer, Nature Conservationist, Contractor, Rubber Planter

b.12 December 1872 -  d.February 1942

T.R Hubback joined his brother in Selangor in 1895 as a Civil Engineer. In 1920 he settled in north-eastern Malaya, and was prominent in the campaign that led to the establishment of the King George V National Park (later the Taman Negara National Park). In his younger days a keen hunter, he came to be remembered as an ardent conservationist in his later years. He was a prolific author both on hunting big game and later on conservation. Described as ‘the handsomest man who ever came to Malaya’ (ibid.), he was a Viking born out of his time.

Photo Unavailable

Joseph Guy Hubback

Civil Engineer, Rubber Broker

b. between 6 April 1876-3 April 1877-d.14 August 1951


J.G Hubback was stationed in Seremban before he moved to Singapore in 1919 as Manager for Messr. Lewis & Peat together with Mr. Hugh Devitt. The date of his first arrival in the F.M.S cannot be ascertained. His name appears in several minutes of Planters’ Association meetings and is assumed to have been largely involved in private business ventures in plantations. His wife, Ina Agness Mainwarring Pitt is the daughter of Colonel T.H Pitt from Hayle-place, Maidstone. Their wedding took place at St. George’s Church, George Town in 1909. J.G Hubback passed away on 14th August 1951. His last address was registered at Greenways, Bearsted, Madistone, Kent, Esquire.

George Clay Hubback

b. 7 April 1882-d.1955

Civil Engineer, Bishop of Assam and of Calcutta


Educated at Rossall School and University College, Liverpool. After working as a Civil Engineer on the Admiralty Harbour, Dover, and then for the Port Trust, Calcutta, G.C Hubback joined the Oxford Mission to Calcutta in 1908, and was ordained a Deacon. He remained in Calcutta until 1924, with the exception of the years 1910–12 as curate of St Anne's, Lambeth, and 1916–17 as war hospital chaplain in Bombay. He became bishop of Assam in 1924 and received a Lambeth D.D in 1929. In 1945 he succeeded Foss Westcott as Bishop of Calcutta and Metropolitan of India. He retired five years later, living first at Salisbury and latterly in Guildford. He died in hospital at Guildford on 2 November 1955 after a fall in the street. 

For more information on the Hubback Brothers, visit

bottom of page